Monday, May 30, 2011

Chief cook and bottle washer



The last two weeks were a little different. Eva, the house mom who runs the Miriam Home during the day went on vacation and I got to be her stand in. Eva's job is secure. She has super powers: a radar like sense for identifying dirt and dust and the multi-tasking skills only moms can understand. I have to admit my meals were simpler than Eva's (but no one went hungry) and there are corners in the house that got a two week reprieve. Still, it was great to spend so much one on one time with the kids.




One little conversation I had touched my heart. I was doing lunch dishes and talking to Jean (11 years old) and he was telling me something about school. He stopped and said "Tia, it's nice to talk to you - most adults don't like to talk to kids." I know that Eva, and the other house moms we have here, love these kids, and enjoying talking and playing with them. I also know that they just don't have enough time to make the great meals they make, clean the way the clean and find time for Uno. I guess I am o.k. with plain jane lunch and missed corned if Jean feels like someone has time to talk =)

No comments:

Post a Comment